The Property Insurance Clearinghouse is a new and innovative program that will identify private-market insurance options for consumers who believe Citizens might be their only choice for property insurance.
The Property Insurance Clearinghouse will provide homeowners with greater access to Florida's increasingly expanding insurance market, reducing the number of homeowners with no option other than Citizens for their property insurance needs.
Why Is this Good for Florida Homeowners?
- Citizens policyholders often have more restrictive coverage and fewer options than those insured by private companies.
- Citizens policyholders can be required to pay much higher assessments if a major storm leaves Citizens unable to pay claims.
- Buying a policy from Citizens when comparable private-market coverage is available increases Citizens' potential claims exposure, as well as the assessment risk for all Floridians. In addition to property insurance policies, these assessments also are levied on specialty policies such as auto, boat and pet insurance.
Authorized by the 2013 Florida Legislature, the Property Insurance Clearinghouse will provide the following benefits:
- Homeowners will have expanded access to private-market companies that may offer more personalized and comprehensive coverage options than are available through Citizens.
- Homeowners who find coverage in the private market will face a much lower assessments than Citizens policyholders.
- All Floridians will benefit from Citizens' significantly decreased exposure and reduced assessment risk.
Additional information about the Property Insurance Clearinghouse is available in the Property Insurance Clearinghouse FAQs for Consumers.
On January 27, 2014, the Property Insurance Clearinghouse will be available only for new applicants for multiperil homeowners (HO-3) policies. Citizens will phase in additional policy types and renewal policies throughout 2014. Details will be announced as they become available.